Data Management Advisory Committee (DMAC)
The Data Management Advisory Committee (DMAC) provides guidance to the Gulf of Mexico Alliance to facilitate the efficient preservation and use of data for promoting the ecological and economic health of the Gulf of Mexico.
- Develop, implement, and maintain an evolving plan for the efficient preservation, discovery, and use of data and information in the Gulf of Mexico Alliance (GOMA)
- Enable collaboration in the area of data management among the Priority Issue Teams.
Priority Issue Team (PIT) Top Data Management Priorities
- Access to data collected by other PITs
- Identify data formats and metadata standards to ensure QA
- Increase coordination and reduce duplication of effort in data collection/data management/ technical pursuits
- Data in a format accessible by other PITs
Additional Data Management Needs for which PITs requested DMAC Support
- Web access to data, easily discoverable
- Repository and stewardship for shared GOMA resources (data and storage)
- Data portal for real-time, continuous data
- Distribution of publications (common website)
- Create a regional data system for all PITs to discover and hold data
- Establish a data viewer to visualize data
- Access simplified data that lay person can manipulate
Priority Issue Team Representation
The DMAC is made up of at least two representatives from each PIT, one Subject Matter Expert and one Data Management representative, as well as supporting Special Members.
Coastal Community Resilience
Carol Parsons Richards
Ecosystem Integration and Assessment
Habitat Conservation and Restoration
Nutrient and Nutrient Impacts
Supporting Documents and Briefs
Strategic/Data Management Plan – Under Construction to be completed 2013
DMAC White Paper
Tools and Applications:
Gulf of Mexico Data Atlas - An online regional collaboration resulting in assessments of the physical environment, marine resources, and economic activity around the Gulf.
GOMAPortal - A metadata catalog and data repository for Gulf of Mexico related geospatial datasets.
Storm Smart Coasts - An online resource for coastal decision makers looking for the latest and best information on how to protect their communities from weather and climate hazards.
GOMAEEN - Gulf of Mexico Alliance Environmental Education Network (GOMAEEN) was formed to increase awareness and stewardship of Gulf coastal resources and to coordinate educational and outreach activities.
GDAPT - Gulf of Mexico Data Acquisition Planning Tool.
MERMAid- The Metadata Enterprise Resource Management Aid) is a secure, online Web-based application that allows users to create, validate, manage and publish metadata records.
Metadata Transforms - Extensible Markup Language (XML) transformations are available to automate the metadata translation and can be developed to automate metadata creation.
Ecowatch - Provides a data management infrastructure that is comprised of data services and support functions for data discovery.