GOMA’s Education and Engagement Team focuses on public relations, expanded partnerships, and other actions to involve their members as well as those in the other five Teams.
The Education and Engagement Team has one overarching goal:
- Engage and educate people to become stewards who enhance the environmental, ecological and economic health of the Gulf of Mexico
The GOMA Education and Engagement Team is led by the State of Alabama, but has active participation from all five Gulf States and federal agencies working in the region, as well as academia, businesses, and non-profit organizations. Learn more about the focus areas and actions of the Team in Action Plan III.
Gulf Star 2016 Awards
- Tracking Trash | Dauphin Island Sea Lab
The goal of this project is to educate middle and high school students and teachers about the marine debris problem in coastal Alabama; show students how technology can be used to study a problem, and develop an engineering/solution-based mindset and instill a sense of stewardship for their local waterway. Shared project with the Marine Debris Cross-Team Initiative.
- Marine Debris Education & Prevention | Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program
This project will engage high school and college students in the data collection and monitoring of marine debris and sediment microplastics on a private beach in Louisiana. Students will spend one day per quarter in the field researching, collecting, and analyzing marine debris data and preparing action items to stop it at the source. Shared project with the Marine Debris Cross-Team Initiative.
- Marine Debris Dash | Ocean Hour
This project works systematically to clean up specific shores in northwest Florida, collecting debris and tracking the items on the NOAA marine debris tracker. Using the data, this project will work with local businesses and government officials to curb their incidence on the shore. Shared project with the Marine Debris Cross-Team Initiative.
- Plastic Free Gulf Coast in Mississippi | Gulf Coast Community Design Studio
This project aims to reduce the use of single-use plastic in the three coastal counties of Mississippi and provide data showing this reduction. Shared project with the Marine Debris Cross-Team Initiative.
- Microplastics Citizen Science Project | Mississippi State University
The purpose of this microplastics project is to demonstrate the type and location of degraded microplastics. This grant is a citizen science project where sediment and water samples are collected and processed for microplastics, then integrated into an existing visualization tool. The data collection and visualization tool is already being used by Florida Microplastic Awareness Project and is being expanded to marine debris programs in other Gulf states. Shared project with the Marine Debris Cross-Team Initiative.
- Urban Youth Conservation Corps | Limitless Vistas, Inc.
This project increases awareness of the losses and degradation of coastal habitats caused by invasive species. This project also educates and trains students in conservation field techniques that can be used to pursue jobs in the conservation industry and/or generate interest in seeking environmental or conservation college degree.
Team Tools and Publications
- Environmental Education Listserv - To join the Environmental Education listserv send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put the text "GOMAEEN Listserv" in the subject.
- Coastal Training Workshops - A unique regional collaboration designed to deliver relevant information to key stakeholders on issues related to the ecological and economic health of the Gulf of Mexico.
- Coastal Ecosystem Learning Centers - A network of learning centers at aquariums and marine educational facilities across the Gulf, sponsored by the Coastal America Foundation.
- Smart Yard, Healthy Gulf Campaign - A public education campaign designed to reduce fertilizers entering local waters by helping people make responsible lawn fertilizer decisions.
- Angela Underwood, Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
- Lee Yokel, Dauphin Island Sea Lab
Team Meeting Information
- Notes from 2016 All Hands Meeting
- Contact your coordinator for any previous year meeting notes or presentations.