K - 20 Mini-grants in Louisiana
The Alliance's Education Team supports environmental education in Louisiana by providing the following K-20 mini-grants:
- Audubon Nature Institute for Coast to Classroom
- Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium for Going Beyond the Bayou
- Louisiana Environmental Education Commission for Louisiana Environmental Literacy Plan
- Foundation for Excellence in Louisiana Public Broadcasting for Electronic Field Trip
- Southeast Louisiana University for Training Future Scientists, Teachers and Families in Coastal Conservation
Louisiana Homeowners Handbook for Natural Hazards
The Louisiana Homeowners Handbook was created by the Gulf of Mexico Alliance Coastal Community Resilience priority issue team to help homeowners prepare for natural hazards to reduce risks to family and property. While it is never possible to eliminate all damage from a natural hazard, homeowners can take action and implement many small and cost-effective steps that could significantly lower risk. The handbook includes sections on how to prepare before the storm, mititgation measures to increase residential resilience, and insurance options available to homeowners in Louisiana.
Outreach & Education Mini-grants in Louisiana
The Alliance's Education Team supports outreach efforts in Louisiana by providing the following mini-grants:
- Louisiana Dept of Wildlife & Fisheries for Marine Lab Estuarine & Marine Awareness Education
- Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium for Gulf Lagniappe: Adult EE Workshops and Wetland Warriors
- Southeastern Louisiana University for Training Future Scientists, Teachers and Families in Coastal Wetland Conservation
StormSmart Coasts Network in Louisiana
Natural hazards such as tropical storms and hurricanes significantly add to the already growing land loss problem in coastal Louisiana. Helping communities stay informed of resilience-related issues, the Louisiana StormSmart Coasts web site is customized with information relative to Louisiana, including categories such as "Before the Storm", "During the Storm", "After the Storm", and "Funding." The accompanying professional networking site, StormSmart Connect, allows local decision makers to share information with one another through profiles, groups, and forums.